- Appointment of Elders – simple steps to guide in discerning and appointing church elders
- Adding New Elders – principles can guide us where specific instructions are not given
- Elders’ Work – overview of a four part series on the responsibilities of assembly elders
- Feeding the Flock – some of the many aspects of providing spiritual food for believers
- Leading the Flock – vision for the future includes both active and passive goal work
- Overseeing the church – skills for caring for relationship harmony within the church
- Protecting the church – wolves and false teachers from outside can threaten a growing work
- Shepherding Teens – suggests a good place to begin reaching out to teens in the assembly
- Elders and Spiritual Gifts
- Prayer and Ministry of the Word – encouragement for elders to develop right priorities in their meetings
- Priorities in the Church – principles for church meetings based on Acts 2:42
- Discipline in the Church
- Small Group Ministry
- Part IV – a look at possible problems in the small group, and how to avoid them or deal with them
- Administrative Skills I – the importance of dealing with problems in the church in a timely manner
- Administrative Skills II – four key areas in which elders need to be good communicators
- Decision Making in the Church – the benefits of handling church business by reaching unanimity
- What, Your Church Has No Pastor? – the importance of following a Biblical plan for church leadership
- Praying for the Sick I – suggestions relating to prayer for the sick when called to their bedside
- Praying for the Sick II – suggestions relating to prayer for the sick in the gathered assembly
- The Blessing of Deacons – a look at how chosen men of the assembly can assist elders in their work
- The Art of Confronting – the critical elders’ work of facing and dealing with difficult people and situations
- Reaching Out Through Small Groups – the open home can be an effective way to reach out to neighbors
- Traditions and Customs – deductions from Scripture to help elders keep traditions and customs in their place
- Once an Elder, Always an Elder? – helpful thoughts on eldership as a working function rather than a life position
- Teaching in the Church – safeguarding the church’s teaching hour from things that compete or distract
- Ministry that Edifies – suggestions to help maintain a high standard for the teaching ministry in the church
- Unconditional Forgiveness? – understanding the true place of forgiveness among the believers
- Accountability – a Good Word – how to appreciate and apply an important part of healthy discipleship
- Urgent Word to Church Elders – the central place of Scripture and sound relationships as seen in Acts 20
- Falling Through the Cracks? – one important work of elders: looking out for the defenceless
- Appointment of Elders – [repeat of Volume 1 #1]
- When is a Man Ready to be an Elder? – principles and guidelines to help elders discern preparedness
- Small Groups Revisited – common objections to small group ministry answered
- Training Elders – five areas in which elders may encourage and disciple younger men
- The Authority of Elders – authority can be either a curse or a blessing; elders need to understand the difference
- Men’s Meeting – how to use a regular gathering of brothers to disciple men and make assembly decisions
- The Leading Brother – What can be done when a strong leader resists team accountability?
- Small and Struggling Assemblies – Suggestions for bringing new growth
- Watching for Souls – A study in Hebrews 13:17
- God’s Stewards – Thinking about what is involved in managing God’s resources of people
- Family Life of Elders
- Growing People through the Word – Three-fold cooperation between the speaker, the hearer, and the Lord.
- Ownership in the Church – Helping people make the transition from visitors to committed servants
- The Shepherd’s Heart (Part I) – How can the elder evaluate his own motives for caring for the flock?
- The Elders Meeting – Use time to best advantage and build a team
- Initiative; a Great Word – An important part of leadership is to decide to act in time of need
- Instructing About the Lord’s Supper – Basics explained in simple terms for young believers
- The Shepherd’s Heart (Part II) – Understanding the motivation, care and priorities of the true shepherd
- What Makes a Church Grow? (Part I) – Ten marks of healthy, growing churches with suggestions to consider
- What Makes a Church Grow? (Part II) – cont’d
- Teamwork – It takes more than to make a team. Article studies some of the basic elements
- Elders and Deacons; Servants Working in Harmony – Church leaders set the example of spiritual maturity in relationships
- Elders: Active or Passive? – The need for balance and involvement of every brother on the leadership team
- Resolving Disagreements – Agreements to make before problems arise, and actions to take once disagreement is encountered
- Men of Vision (Part 1) – The nature and importance of spiritual vision in the Lord’s work illustrated from the life of David in II Sam. 7; with spiritual lessons
- Men of Vision (Part 2) – cont’d
- Equipping the Saints – Five practical suggestions for elders based on the important passage in Eph. 4:12
- The Perfect Church – Taking a hard look coupled with an honest evaluation of the assembly along with practical suggestions to encourage commitment rather than drifting
- The Simple Elders Meeting – Meetings for church leaders need not be lengthy or draining. Offers some suggestions for balancing the 3 major demands on elders’ time.
- New Life for the Assembly – Helping to remove the “grave clothes” of new believers by cultivating a spiritual nursery within the assembly. Application based on the raising of Lazarus in John 11.
- Hospitality; A Great Subject – Importance; Biblical examples; How elders can practice and perfect this valuable work which is listed in the qualifcations in I Tim. 3.
- The Crown of Glory – Based on notes from I Peter 5; Considering some of the things that bring present blessing and future reward to church elders.
- Elders and the Prayer Life of the Church (Part 1) – The church prayer meeting begins with the practice of private prayer in the homes. Practical suggestions for elders wishing to stimulate the assembly prayer meeting, along with some of the resulting benefits.
- Elders and the Prayer Life of the Church (Part 2) – cont’d Tips for mentoring and checking the environment of the church for prayer.
- Are Unbelievers Welcome? – The mission of the church is to “Go”into the world with good news, but what about when lost people come into the assembly? Article explains how the assembly can be a healthy setting where welcomed visitors look in on the functions of a spiritual family.
- Protecting the Church from False Teachers – Elders need to know the Scriptures, practice vigilance, and be willing to confront error in a gracious manner.
- Rethinking Discipleship (Part 1) – Making disciples is a critical part of church life. The article mentions some priorities and safeguards against imbalance.
- Rethinking Discipleship (Part II) – Practical ideas for elders to consider toward making disciples.
- The Authority of Elders – Dangers, Safeguards, and some practical suggestions for the godly exercise of authority by church elders.
- Leadership Principles I; Why a Plurality? – The case for a plural church leadership with some opposing arguments considered.
- Leadership Principles II; Elders, Where Do They Come From? – Observing the cooperation of divine provision and human responsibility in the raising of church elders.
- Leadership Principles III; Elders, How are They Recognized? – No formula for “ordaining” elders is given in the Scriptures, but there are clues that help us understand the process.
- Elders Emeritus – The blessings and obstacles of promoting older leaders to a status in which they can serve in a less demanding but extremely valuable capacity.
- Spiritual Gifts that Help Elders Lead Well – two gifts that sound like duplicates actually shed light on God’s wise plan for healthy leadership.
- Repentance and the Church (Part 1) – Seeks a preliminary understanding of the subject by looking at repentance in the letters to the 7 churches in Revelation 2 & 3.
- Repentance and the Church (Part 2) – Continues with a more detailed look at the 7 letters and suggestions to help elders with local application.
- The Syllabus – A Helpful Tool – article explores some of the benefits and ideas for implementing a more disciplined approach to assembly Bible teaching ministry.
- [ No Article in January ]
- Reviving a Weak Visitation Program – Provides some practical guidelines to help elders restart or improve a visitation program that is not getting the job done.
- The Critical Teenage Years – Elders can make important decisions that will impact the spiritual growth and maturity of this age group by facing some important facts and then making wise decisions.
- Training a New Generation of Elders – The testimony of one assembly elder about how God used some strategic leadership decisions and materials to equip young men in the assembly
- Elders as Worshippers – Taking a look at the important place of spiritual worship in the life of assembly leadership, including the practical side, can result in rich blessing for the work,
- Acts Study (1), The Primitive Church – Begins a series to trace the development and significant lessons about leadership; specifically elders in the Book of Acts